A Day to Stop and Consider

I have two children, ages seven and nine. I don't mention them much in my blogging, as I try and keep my private life and public opinions separate. However, today the intersection between what I believe and my children is much on my minds, as they are home from school for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.

I asked my daughter this morning if she knew who Dr. King was, and she said something like, "Well, Mama I know he was a king..." I laughed a little and we spent some time surfing around on the Internet, learning about who he was and how he changed the world she lives in. She has friends who are African American, and her teacher is African American, and she takes for granted that their right to be in school with her has always existed. When I got to the part about his assassination on April 4, 1968, tears welled up in her eyes. I hope I have imparted at least some of the significance of who Dr. King was and what he meant to the United States. What, in fact, his legacy continues to mean, as we struggle every day with how to be a country that tolerates different cultures, histories, and points of view.

Take the time today to listen to Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Take the time to think about how you stand on civil rights issues, and what the coming presidential election could mean to all of us in regards to tolerance and the goal of an American Dream that is accessible to everyone. Take the time to think about peace.

Meanwhile, here is a video I found via Crooks and Liars - a little montage set to the Black Eyed Peas' "Where is the Love".


0 Comments:

Post a Comment